Saturday 4 January 2014

New Year's Resolutions

Usually I don’t make any new year’s resolutions but this year I decided I wanted a change. Over the past year a lot has happened that has made me realise that there are certain things about myself that I would like to make a difference in. And after thinking about it for quite some time I realised these resolutions tie in with some book characters.

I want to be like Albus Dumbledore from Harry Potter. Wise and serene, this man always thinks before he speaks. There were obvious points in his life where there was lack of judgement but as he grew older he became wiser. I want to be able to think before I say something and not get angry as easily. I would like to be able to help people when they need it, even if that is just by offering a few words.

Hazel Grace Lancaster from The Fault In Our Stars taught me to not be afraid to love freely. In 2014, I want to be able to love people without fear holding me back. We are hurt by people sometimes but we shouldn’t carry that hurt and let it affect our interactions with other people. This year I vow to be more open minded, give everyone an equal chance and not let the past hinder me.

I am not a vain person but I realise that I should probably look after myself better. So I am going to take from Isabelle Lightwood from The Mortal Instruments series and take a bit more pride in my appearance. I am by no means trying to impress anyone but simply want to be happier with myself. So here’s to a new skincare routine…


I guess the obvious one for book bloggers is Matilda from Matilda. I want to read a lot more. Over the course of my time in college and the start of university I lost my love for books and stayed far away from them. Last year I began to read again and I realised just how much I missed it. This year I am ready to throw myself back into the fold and get on with reading again and loving the stories I find.

I adore Divergent and especially Tris Prior. From this character I want to take the fact that she stepped out of her comfort zone of what she knew in her faction and went for what she wanted. I realised that sometimes I will choose what is familiar to me rather that what I want to do or am interested in. I don’t want to do that anymore. I don’t want to live my life always picking the ‘safest’ option.


This one links into the resolution above. Bilbo Baggins from The Hobbit took a chance and went on an adventure. I want more adventures. Life is what you make of it, right? This year I will be turning 21 and I want to remember my 21st year as something great, and of course every year to come.

My last resolution has to do with Miranda Priestley from The Devil Wears Prada. Miranda is probably known for being a bitch and no I am not saying I want to be bitchy and become the head of a fashion magazine and make people lives hell. No. I want to be confident and self assured. I don’t want to second guess myself all the time. If I feel that people aren’t treating me right I want to stand up to them and say so.


Those are my resolutions and I hope that 2014 will see me achieve them all!




*Images were taken from Google

1 comment:

Kath said...

I love this post :D very unique to compare resolutions to books :)
http://sensitivityandflair.blogspot.co.uk