Thursday 24 April 2014

Holy Crêpe!: Mocha Chocolate Gâteau

After being gifted a Mary Berry book for my birthday I have been itching to try it out. I finally got around to baking something from there and although it's not the most adventurous of cakes it was nice to be baking again.

The recipe called for coffee essence and I couldn't find any so I had a choice to substitute in either instant coffee or ground coffee. Believing that the ground coffee would have a stronger flavour I chose that one and thought that it would dissolve in like instant. This did not happen. Unfortunately I forgot to take a picture of the wet mix but it looked like what you expect cake mix to look like but with many dark brown flecks.

After a bit of a wobble over whether I should start over, the sandwich tins went into the oven for 35 minutes. Once they came out the flecks weren't so obvious and considering I needed to ice them I think I got away with it.

I probably should have left my butter out of the fridge for a little bit in order to let it soften before making the icing as it was much harder to mix and extended the process by a good few minutes. 

Overall I don't think it looked (or tasted) that bad. I think I'll want to try my hand at brownies next considering I've never made them!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

That looks so delicious it's untrue. Chocolate and coffee are two of my favourite things! x