Wednesday 21 May 2014

Wishlist Wednesday (#1)

The Rosie Project - Graeme Simsion

Publisher: Penguin
Pages: 327
Publication date: May 1st 2013

Goodreads Blurb: Don Tillman, professor of genetics, has never been on a second dat. He is a man who can count all his friends on the fingers of one hand, whose lifelong difficulty with social rituals has convinced him that her is simply not wired for romance. So when an acquaintance informs him he would make a 'wonderful' husband, his first reaction is shock. Yet her must concede to the statistical probability that there us someone for everyone, and he embarks upon The Wife Project. In the orderly, evidence-based manner with which he approaches all things, Don sets out to find the perfect partner. She will be punctual and logical - most definitely not a barmaid, a smoker, a drinker, or a late-arriver.

Yet Rosie Jarman is all these things. She is also beguiling, fiery, intelligent - and on a quest of her own. She is looking for her biological father, a search that a certain DNA expert might be able to help her with. Don's Wife Project takes a back burner to the Father Project and an unlikely relationship blooms, forcing the scientifically minded geneticist to confront the spontaneous whirlwind that is Rosie - and the realisation that love is not always what looks good on paper.

Why I want to read it: I am a medical geneticist and considering that it's not a job that is at the top of the list for most people I get very excited when I see it somewhere and that was my initial thought. The plot of the book seems interesting and would probably one of those comfort books if it relies heavily on the romance. I haven't seen much about this book in the blogosphere so I think I'll be pretty neutral going into it when I finally buy it.




Why We Broke Up - Daniel Handler

Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Pages: 354
Publication date: December 27th 2011

Goodreads Blurb: Min Green and Ed Slaterton are breaking up, so Min is writing Ed a letter and giving him a box. Inside the box is why they broke up. Two bottle caps, a movie ticket, a folded note, a box of matches, a protractor, books, a toy truck, a pair of ugly earrings, a comb from a motel room, and every other item collected over the course of a giddy, intimate, heartbreaking relationship. Item after item is illustrated and accounted for, and then the box, like a girlfriend, will be dumped.

Why I want to read it: Love is good. Love is great! But I love a good break up. And I love them even more when there's a lot of build up to it. 'Why we broke up' seems to be exactly that type of book. I'm guessing that each item in the box has a story behind it, good and bad and what I love even more is that there are illustrations in this book as well. What I am majorly interested in is how both these character cope with the break up and why it happens.





Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers 
Pages: 288
Publication date: April 15th 2014

Goodreads Blurb: To All the Boys I've Loved Before is the story of Lara Jean, who was never openly admitted her crushes, but instead wrote each boy a letter about how she felt, sealed it, and hid it in a box under her bed. But one day Lara Jean discovers that somehow her secret box of letters has been mailed, causing all her crushes from her past to confront her about the letters: her first kiss, the boy from summer camp, even her sister's ex-boyfriend, Josh. As she learns to deal with her past loves face to face, Lara Jean discovers that something good may come out of these letters after all.

Why I want to read it: This would be my worst nightmare. We have all been there. Fancying that guy in school who we know we don't have a chance with so we don't say anything. Lara Jean is already braver than I am because at least she admitted her feelings somewhere. No doubt this book is going to have a little bit of drama with Lara having to confront the boys. I feel it will be especially awkward for her when she's up against her sister's ex-boyfriend (awkward!). I've seen a few bloggers get excited over this one but haven't seen any reviews yet so the general hype around it is bumping it towards the top of my list. 



No comments: